Book projekt about the novel "To kill a Mockingbird" written by Harper Lee.

Sonntag, 26. Februar 2012

Series of e-mails between Scout and Miss Maudie

from: Scout Finch
to: Miss Maudie


Hi Miss Maudie,
I write you this email because I can't stop thinking about the judgment against Tom Robinson and need to talk to somebody about this. I hope you don't mind. It is so obvious that he is innocent so why did the jury find him guilty and why am I the only one who recognizes it? I already tried to figure it out but couldn't come to any explanation for this unfair judgment. I hope you can help me with my request and write me back.
Your neighbour
Scout

from: Miss Maudie
to: Scout Finch

Hello Scout,
first of all, you aren't the only one who recognizes the unfair judgment of the jury so don't think you are the one who is wrong. Of course they are. But it is a bit more complicated. In this world and especially in our region there is a high social inequality. As you might have noticed Maycomb is divided in social groups. The Cunninghams and Ewells are on the bottom of the social hierarchy. I know this sounds hard, but that is how they are seen by most of Maycomb's population. But what unites most of the people from the different social groups is their hate against black people. No matter what Tom Robinson did, he was accused by a white person and unfortunately he had no chance of being acquitted by a jury of only white people. I know it is horrible but still I hope I could help you with my email.
Your
Miss Maudie

from: Scout Finch
to: Miss Maudie

But that is so unfair. He didn't do anything wrong. How can there be so much hate between black and white people if their only differences is their skin color? I know you probably don't have an answer to that but thank you for explaining me the case. 

from: Miss Maudie
to: Scout Finch

You are right. It is unfair and I don't know the reason for this hate either but by treating black people the same way as we treat white people we can give our part to help the discriminated black people. And don't ever stop questioning. That is the only way to change something.
I'm always there to give you an answer if I can.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen